Pages

Love at first site

Something unexpected happened during my stay in Athens... I fell in love.

It was a blazing hot day as I set foot outside Syntagma station in the city centre. The streets were buzzing with masses of people; some seemingly dancing around crowds like pros with their impressive footwork (Athenians) and others consulting their larger than life street maps, squabbling amongst themselves while pointing here and there - don't you just love tourists for being so... touristy? =)

I ring my friend from university who I haven't seen since those glorious days when my only responsibilities included dumping my dirty laundry into a bag, ready to hand to my mum during a visit home. Ah, those were the days!

Somehow Lila and I had managed to end up in different places. She gave me directions in her (extremely cute but) perfect English. I walked through alleyways, zigzagged through mobs of tourists and that's when it happened. My eyes widened, my pulse quickened, a bead of sweat broke out on my forehead, my knees buckled... Ok fine, I'm exaggerating. Just a tiny bit. Basically, I was pleasantly taken aback by what I saw.

Towering over the city, on a hill in front of me was the most impressive monument I had ever seen. The Acropolis. Of course I had expected to see crumbling buildings in Athens but I wasn't aware of the impact of seeing an ancient landmark displayed smack bang in the middle of modern day Athens.

It felt somewhat surreal to see angry taxi drivers honking their cars, Athenians walking around in suits with their mobile phone plastered to their ears, individuals sitting on benches while sipping their coffees with their eyes glued to their books or magazines... and all this time they didn't stop to admire and appreciate the extraordinary view that stood high in front of them. Are these people insane? If I could I'd pick a perfect spot to gush over the incredible landmark for days on end!

From then on, tanned, macho-looking and facial-loving Greek men just couldn't compare with the ancient jewel that looked down on us. My heart solely belonged to The Acropolis.


I had only been in the city for two days but drinking Greek Frappe coffee at the foot of the Acropolis while catching up with my Greek friend was definitely the highlight so far. Not to mention the feta cheese pie Lila had strongly recommended along with the coffee... absolute heaven!

The millions of steps leading to the Acropolis were steep and uneven, but it was worth every moment as we got closer to the attraction. The Parthenon (pictured) is the largest and main temple on site, and truly inspiring.

Close up and personal, the architecture and detail in the carvings give you a real sense of the ancient Greeks, mythologies and the Gods and Goddesses that once (supposedly) walked the grounds of the city. Away from honking cars and the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it's really easy to forget reality and drift into the magnificence of the past.

Talking about Goddesses... the Acropolis was actually built as a sanctuary for Athena, Goddess of Wisdom and Skill. Once upon a time, Athena competed with Poseidon (God of the Seas) to be the patron deity of the city. While Poseidon offered a spring of seawater to the people, Athena offered olive trees. King Cecrops (the first King of the city) was so impressed by Athena's gift that he chose her to be the guardian of the city. Thus the city was named Athens.

It's not just the Acropolis that will take your breath away; as it's located in the middle of the city centre, you'll get to see the wonderful panoramic views of the city - apartments, other landmarks, countryside and sea. Be careful though as you might find yourself lost in time snapping away at carvings, views, architecture and all sorts before realising that you've spent pretty much the entire day there.

I know there's more to Athens than the Acropolis and I'm looking forward to unearthing more of the city's ancient jewels and getting to grips with the Athenian culture. With the help of my friend Lila, I plan to be all cultured out by the time I have to wave goodbye to my new found love.

No comments:

Post a Comment